August 25, 2015

the elements of a fashion icon: a break down of Kate Moss Style the early years

1990s Kate Moss

1990s Kate Moss
1990s Kate Moss
1990s Kate Moss
Pixie cut Kate Moss
Pixie Cut Kate Moss

what makes Kate so cool? Her looks: she has the face of an era, a lifetime, if you will. She has something child-like, like a fairy. She has the face of what I would imagine a fairy to look like - ageless, timeless. That's the kind of face she has. She's skinny, and let's face it, clothes look good on skinny people. They just do. Go back over the centuries, heck, you don't even have to go back that far but for argument's sake, do. She is in fashion so skinny rules. I don't care how many campaigns come out with plus size models, skinny rules, ruled and will always rule. I'm not for extreme emaciated models and there have been plenty of those these past years. Emaciated is ugly, dangerous and unhealthy. I am not for that. But as far as Kate goes: she was never emaciated. When she was younger, she was thinner but weren't we all? I look at pictures of myself at 14, 16, 19: sure I was thinner than I am now. Kate is still thin, it's her job to be thin considering the industry she works in but she doesn't look emaciated, never has. She has great legs. Some call them bandy: well, bandy legs are a lot sexier than knock-knees.

So that takes care of the physique. What makes her enduring cool and truly cool, is her personality: she is mysterious because she doesn't speak. I've said it many times before but that is what I admire and respect about her. She keeps quiet. She could look exactly as she looks but have the personality of a Taylor Swift or heaven forbid - a Kardashian family member: I would hate her just as much as the afore-mentioned celebathons.

Her style: you need the above elements to make for the style. We love her style because of her physique and what we think is hiding beneath the facade. And yes - she does have good taste and style. She has a knack for knowing what suits her, for being a minimalist (never wears jewelry or other weird accessories)  and because she looks great, we love everything and anything she dons. Well, not everything. She has worn the odd shoe I thought atrocious. But for the most part, yes, she just looks super cool.

It's never one sole thing: the making or being an icon, it's many things. Kate has them all. She is fabulous. I think she's great.

No comments: