February 29, 2012

Oscars 2012: best in white, best in dressed

Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford
Even though she's patient zero, Ms. Paltrow looked very healthy and glowing in her tour de force Tom Ford cape and gown.  The hair was rather odd; nice but odd. Why? Well, because it kind of didn't know if it wanted to be "I just did this myself" or "I obviously didn't do this myself even though it's supposed to look like I just did this myself." Nevertheless, the hair matched the simplicity of the gown. I liked it with the cape better than without the cape. But the red carpet outfit counts: she gets 8 out of 10 thumbs up.

Octavia Spencer in Tadashi Shoji
What is there to say except Ms. Spencer looked as talented as she is: simply perfect from the hair to the jewelry to the clutch to the fit. Ms. Spencer: you win the "Lola" for best-dressed of the evening and 10 sparkling stars.

Rooney Mara in Givenchy Couture
Rooney Mara is the chick who can do no wrong: she is talented and sweet. At least she seems to be. Totally unassuming and humble. For some reason, she looks like a cute little sailor in this gown (doesn't the dress have something nautical about it?) Since sailors don't wear jewelry, she didn't either. At least that's my theory. However, whatever: I adore this girl.  She's like Tinkerbell: simply magic.

No comments: