October 11, 2011

inspiration: Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt was born this day 127 years ago (1884) in New York City.  During the first press conference she gave as First Lady and wife of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1933, she invited only female reporters.  
Eleanor Roosevelt continued to hold weekly women-only press conferences throughout her husband's presidency. The early 1930's marked the height of the Great Depression: women were dissuaded from taking jobs, some states even passing laws against hiring women.  I can't even imagine what it must have been like working as a journalist in a man's world. They did and Mrs. Roosevelt championed them. Very cool.  
A short biography on this quite amazing woman here.  
Photo courtesy of  Bettman/Corbis Time Magazine

2 comments:

As Tertulías said...

My dear Veronica, I am not only "officialy" following your blog but I have also pasted it on the main page of mine!!!! Take a look!
By the way: good work!!!!!!!

Veronika said...

is that you sweet Ricardo? Your blog is pretty awesome even though I can't read it but I can look at the lovely pictures :)

thank you sweetie!