August 28, 2010

Writers Are Never Unemployed

I was sitting at the counter, in the Standard hotel's 24 hour diner, a few nights ago, eating a pizza. A guy sitting next to me was drinking a coffee with a baileys. While I was waiting, and he was getting drunk, we did what most people would do in that situation: we started a conversation.

"So what do you do?"
"What do you do?"

His answer: I am unemployed. My answer: I am a writer. And so on, and so forth.

Reflecting upon that conversation, I realized, being unemployed is never something a writer can be. There is always something to write about. That's part of the beauty and also can be part of the problem. The pressure. The pressure knowing that there always is "something" to write about.

There's always something to create i.e to write about but we don't always feel capable of doing it.

A sort of double indemnity is when you are a freelance/full-time writer. You don't do it anymore for "fun" you do it because you have to. But wait, we chose to become writers, didn't we? And surely, being able to hone your craft full-time is the ultimate perk? The ideal situation every involuntary hack, with a day-job, salivates over?

That's a question I can't answer yet. Ask me again in a year's time, if my writing has improved. Or if I'm on the best-seller list.

1 comment:

K.M. Weiland said...

I love this observation! I also love the weird look people give you when you tell them you're a writer. They never know quite what to say!