June 9, 2010

World Cup 2010 for Dummies - Part VIII - Group E

Two days till kick off. Group E plays for the first time on Monday, June 14th (Netherlands v Denmark, Cameroon v Japan) and the picture to the right is for Sandy's benefit. She loves hot bods.

Group E: CDNJ
Cameroon
Denmark
Netherlands
Japan


Cameroon: aren't they supposed to be one of the best teams on the African continent? I am pretty sure all of the players are with European Clubs. For me, the most famous player is Captain of the National team Samuel Eto'o, of Inter Milan. Some former Cameroon player accused him of being lazy when playing nationally. That pissed him off. Plus he was sent off, which pissed him off even more. And he threatened to quit the national team.

There's a good interview with Eto'o where he takes about his career, playing in Europe and racism, in the Guardian. Worth a read as players from Africa are still subject to racist slurs. That sucks. FIFA Ranking: 19


Denmark: Little Denmark, the only representative of the Scandinavian countries, to make it to the world cup. Sadly, Sweden didn't make it - Zlatan Ibrahimovic - you shall be missed. What I do remember is the Euro Cup 1992, when the Danish were called back from their holidays to participate in the tournament as Yugoslavia was kicked out due to international sanctions. Denmark went on to win the tournament. How friggin brilliant is that? Oh, and they beat Portugal 3-2 just a while ago. FIFA Ranking: 36

Netherlands: The Dutch eat weird shit. And have you noticed that a lot of the Dutch players have receding hairlines? I think that may have to do with the fact that they eat fried goo balls and cheese with mayo on white floppy bread, like, as a diet staple. Even the Brits cook better. On the other hand, maybe they've made a pact with someone, dunno, some Cheese God. In exchange for less hair, they have awesome football skills. Which seems to be working for them.

How is Arjan Robben doing? Hope he can play. If he is fit, they can definitely go all the way. I do love this team. FIFA Ranking: 4

Japan: Awww. They really haven't got a chance in this group, do they? But I'm sure all the players dress, like, way cool and have all the latest high tech-ery. Points should be given for the best dressed, or for being the most forward thinking if not forward playing. Japan did do reasonably well in the combo host thing with South Korea. FIFA Ranking: 45

My picks: Netherlands first, Cameroon second

picture courtesy of somebody of Samuel Eto'o. It reads: I live in Europe, I sleep in Africa, David Beckham is prettier, but I play better. (not absolutely sure of the "sleep" translation but I'm sure some Spanish speaker will point that out)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eva says: i'm with you, netherlands first, cameroon second...

Anonymous said...

James said

I'll 3rd that choice

Anonymous said...

its to boring if i agree with you..therefore:
Darius:
1. Cameroon
2. Netherland

fabian_Szymanek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fabian_Szymanek said...

retype :-)

i agree with the majority here:

1) the netherlands
2) cameroon :-)

- although "awww" japan would deserve a chance too :-)

Anonymous said...

Wulfi takes a risky bet:

Hope the European countries may win, even the chances are low low low, therefore:

1st: the flying Dutchmen
2nd: the nordic Wikings

K.M. Weiland said...

I'm afraid I have to admit I'm one of those benighted people who don't watch soccer. For what it's worth, I've been told I'd love it if I ever started watching. Maybe this is the year I'll start cultivating my love for a(nother) sport.

Tatiana Lensky said...

oh, you would love it. Besides, its easy to understand. Kinda. Just kick the ball in the opponent's goal as often as possible. Then you win!

Tomorrow the USA is playing England. If you can catch that game, you'd love it!

Anonymous said...

Sandy:

1. Cameroon
2. Netherlands