October 20, 2009

bursts of fruit and color and ballons and tweenie-isms





Uni has started again. And honestly, I wonder how anyone, attending the required number of lectures per semester, finishes in six semesters? I think to myself: who, other than a very amibitious kid who is not required to work on the side finishes in three years? I mean, seriously. I think I have, like, 6 exams in one week. Um.......no. Ain't gonna happen.

Since Sandy and I have founded our own personal movie and book club, thinkart, I have been going to screenings once a week. We've been leaning slightly more on the passive participation in pop culture rather than the activism reading requires.

Let's see: there was Up. There was Desert Flower, The Ugly Truth and today there was Away We Go, the latest Sam Mendes. Oh, and LOL, Sophie La Boum Marceau all grown up. With her own La Boum.

The last Mendes film I saw was Revolutionary Road, last summer that was. And I just cried and cried. At the moment, while I am writing this, "Mad Men" is on, which plays more or less in the same era as Revolutionary Road. For some reason, it creeps me out. And I don't quite share the unadulterated enthusiasm I keep hearing about "Mad Men". Keep smoking is my credo, but even I am getting pissed off seeing every single person on the show constantly enveloped in a cloud of smoke. How stereotypical is that? I never once recall, growing up of anyone ever smoking in my presence. Not my parents, not my neighbors, nobody. Besides, my mom constantly ranted against drinking and smoking at the same time. Somehow, she got it into her head, its exponentially worse to do both at the same time.

Suffice it to say, I believed everything my mom preached. Ok, I was 6 years old. So, one jolly afternoon, my mom and I were at a diner. And the person sitting next to me was having a coffee and smoking (days looong gone where you could smoke in a public place in the States, let alone a Suburbia Diner)

Parrot speaks: " Mom, that person is going to die, right?"
my mom: grabs my hand and we leave.

After that event, I recall more considered rants.

Up: whats all the fuss about? I found it dull. The characters nauseatingly stereotypical in that oppressive type Disney wholesomeness. The grouchy old guy. The fat nerdy do-gooder kid. Truly a feat of imagination and awesome computer animation was the part where the house takes flight in the balloon burst sequence. Other than that, the talking dogs were funny. Well, actually, their collars spoke. Clever, that bit. And they had the best lines.

Did anyone else notice the of Heart of Darkness/Apocolypse Now fevered reference? The kids in the audience seemed to enjoy it, but I was struggling to maintain consciousness.

The Ugly Truth: Not as bad as expected. Bit flat. The thing about romantic comedies, is that we all know the destination. Its the trip that brings us to the movies. And this trip started off in a Alfa Romeo. Too bad the gear box fell apart and we had to call a towing service. Plus Gerard Butler's mug is just all over the place in depressingly awful movies. Katherine Heigl should take a break too.

Desert Flower: Based on a true story of Somali superstar model Waris Dirie, it tells her story from the deserts of Africa to the catwalks of the world. The reason the film was made was to bring attention female circumcision, which has been practiced in the Islamic world for over 3000 years. Mutilation of the female genitalia continues to this day, and is described very precisely how exactly its done. The literal and psychological scars by this barbaric act induce Daris, convincingly portrayed by model/actress Liya Kebede on a truly inspiring and poignant journey.

Away We Go: Its hippy time. Flash of engaging characters. Stagecoach riding through a very large zoo of spectator sport families. Our heroes, expectant mother and dad search for an emotional and physical home, traveling through and past the lives of friends and family, who possess varying degrees of neurosis. Was it supposed to be uplifting?

LOL: You pretty much can never go wrong with a french movie. And this one was no exception. Frothy with a cafe creme richness, Sophie Marceau and some budding inherently attractive young french actors gather ranks. Good looking naturalness.

Story is about a divorced mom with three kids, the oldest, a 17 year old daughter. While we get a peak into Mom's personal life, the focus is definitely more on the daughter, Lola, Lol being her nickname.

A great film to take your girlfriend or boyfriend as it demonstrates in equal measures the trials and tribulations of young love, life, school, and homework. Somewhat glorified. All the main kids have macbook pros and live in fantastic apartments. It floats nicely sans Beverly Hills 91260 Chihuahua in a Louis Vuitton bag boring sameness.

All the girls possessed Bridget Bardot-isms in various shapes and forms. Lol had the pout. The best friend had the nose. And the slutty 'ho had the do.

I went to see it because I like Sophie Marceau, catching a glimpse segment about it on tv. When I got to the movies, and read the content, I thought to myself: oh dear. This sounds like a proper tweenie movie. And it is. But when I was walking home, I actually felt ok being in Vienna. Almost felt like Paris. And anyone who knows me, thats a feat. A feelgood movie.

A tad too long and repetitive toward the end, but still fun. And thats the main thing.

2 comments:

K.M. Weiland said...

I have to tell you that I didn't get Up either. Parts of it were very cute, but it failed to wow me. And the dirigible scenes made me wonder if I have a latent fear of heights. :p

Tatiana Lensky said...

So are we members of a two person club? ; ) Seriously, yes, I agree, a modicum of charm sprinkled here and there but for the most part admirably average. Don't get the hype at all.

Some critics were saying Best Picture.....hello? No way. Its been a meager year so far. Heres hoping some truly remember-able films come out soon. And luckily, you don't have to travel via a bunch of ballons....; )