July 28, 2009

PS I love You and a box of tissues


(I just saw this last night on my movie channel. So, yes, its a recommend dvd rent or buy. )

This is not your normal, or rather my normal film review. I don´t want to bash or rant or complain about casting or production design, or wardrobe. There were some rather obnoxious flaws, but no matter what you think of the former list, the three main characters acting abilities made it honest and heart-felt. (Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler, Kathy Bates). Harry Connick Jr. was ok too.

Ok, let me backtrack one tiny step to the wardrobe dept: the fact that they did try and turn Hilary Swank into a Carrie Bradshaw-type fashionista, luckily, without the clownish tap dancing Sex and The City wardrobiers often forced upon the stars, was a bit of an insult. The question I ask myself is why? Would this story of losing your soulmate not have been as believable if the girl had dressed like a normal working class girl? Instead of someone with a designer-only-shopaholic syndrome? That irked me a bit. But well, whatever.

The story:
  • madly in love couple, who have their regular spats over stupid things (its mostly her getting mad at him)
  • husband dies
  • widow grieves (like shrouded in sadness grieving) Through a series of flashbacks we see what their relationship was like.
  • husband sends letters from beyond the grave.
  • Well, of course, he can´t but widow receives letters and gifts that dying husband had meticulously planned out during his last weeks on Earth, to be delivered at various times over a year long period (at least I think it was over a year)

result: me, crying the whole time, exponentially increase of tear/snot flow as plot unfolds. My 16-year old son meanwhile at desk, with headphones on, surfing facebook, probably thinking I am an idiot. But thats ok. He let me watch undisturbed, which, if you know him, will understand, was a nice gesture.

With tears and nose running like a faucet, Max and I did a musical chairs and I went to imdb to search for comments and I found one, that demonstrates that there are a lot of real-life tragedies out there.

"As a husband who has a wife battling for her life with recurrent ovarian cancer, this movie struck very close to home. We are both in our late 20's and I am facing the possibility of burying my wife far to young, so suffice to say we both went to the movie and had a hard time keeping the eyes dry. There is nothing worse then prospect or actuality of burying your lover and your friend. I know this movie got a lot of negative reviews but when you see your life mirrored on the big screen you can't help but be moved by her struggle to move on and his undying love for her. I see another reviewer said to keep the boyfriends/husbands home, these people obviously have not faced such tragic circumstances. Usually I'd be the first to tear apart a click flick, but this didn't feel as cliché as most and I liked how the ending wasn't as predictable as chick flick movies usually are. "

Below, some quotes from the film. It doesn´t really matter who had the lines so I am omitting who said what.

"I bet you've had a hard time walking into a room full of people on your own, right? Yeah. I know that. I know what it is not to feel like your in the room until he looks at you or touches your hand or even makes a joke at your expense, just to let everyone know... you're with him. You're his. "

"So now, all alone or not, you gotta walk ahead. Thing to remember is if we're all alone, then we're all together in that too. "


"If you can promise me anything, promise me that whenever you're sad, or unsure, or you lose complete faith, that you'll try to see yourself through my eyes."

"I said... never again, no man. And then I meet Gerry. This wonderful man happens to me and then, and then, and then he died! What was the point? I'm so angry I could kill somebody. I'm alone, and it doesn't matter what job I have or what I do or what I don't do or what friends I have, he's not here. I mean you're alone no matter what."

"That's right."

" I don't want to make any mistakes."
" Then you're in the wrong species, love. Be a duck. "

"I'm a man with no regrets. How lucky am I. You made my life. "

"PS I will always love you. "


The book was given to me on December 6th, 2007, and while I didn´t think the writing especially brilliant, the idea was pretty damn good.

I have always had the habit of writing the where&when bought in my books.
There is another note in the book, written by the giver:
PS I really do love you. <3 B. 06-12-07.

I never cried so much in my life.
If you have the one you love, truly, madly, deeply love by your side - don´t ever let him or her go. Ever. And I wish I could follow my own advice.

(geez, even thinking about all this is making me cry all over again.)

So, I guess its safe to say: if you want a good cry, and in the end, not really a whole lot of comfort, go rent PS I love You.

No comments: