January 12, 2009

the best bit at the 2009 Golden Globes


I woke up at 4 AM or whenever it was and caught the last hour of the Golden Globes. Its always awe-inducing watching perfect people while snuggled up in bed under a quadruple layer of blankets and comforters. Quite surreal actually. Strengths my resolve to lose more weight. But I usually forget when I wake up the next day and thought it was all just a bad dream. Some nice deserved wins I suppose. Happy for Danny Boyle as he´s a pretty awesome director. My only regret was that Di Caprio again went out empty-handed. This guy deserves an award - like before he turns 87.

Anyways - the highlight was presenter Sascha Baron Cohen. You have to love the Brits for having the guts to just let it out. As Russell Brand did on the VMA's a few months back:

After calling on the audience to vote for Barrack Obama: "Some people, I think they're called racists, say America is not ready for a black president. But I know America to be a forward thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be president for eight years. We were very impressed. We thought it was nice of you to let him have a go, because, in England, he wouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors."

At the Golden Globes last night, Sascha Baron Cohen will equally be the talk of the town, as some of the surgically enhanced actually managed a frown at some of the remarks he made - all I can say is: respect. The 36-year-old British comedian started off by stating the obvious:

He said, “It’s been a wonderful year for movies, including, of course, Benjamin Button, the story of a man whose face gets younger as he gets older. Uh, which is just like most of the people in this room.” (The camera pans to Button’s star Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Somewhat stilted smile by Ms. Jolie.)

A smattering of laughter (kind of like: "should we laugh? ok, I guess we should"), you know, all the starch faces have to show a bit of self-deprecation, he continued, “It is said that in times of economic hardship, people flock to the cinemas to watch mindless puerile, escapist nonsense, which is great news because I’ve got a movie coming out.”

Sascha then proceeded to take jabs at a few celebs: “But this recession is affecting everyone, even celebrities. Victoria Beckham hasn’t eaten for three weeks. Charlie Sheen has been forced to have sex without paying for it. It’s true. And even Madonna has had to get rid of one of her personal assistants. Our thoughts go out to you Guy Ritchie.” Camera cuts to Sandra Bullock shaking her head. (Sandra, I always liked you but your ratings have skyrocketed in my "I-may-seem-liberal-but-I-really-am-a-purse-lipped-bore"

Sascha presented the “Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy” Golden Globe to "Vicky Cristina Barcelona". Which I kind of don´t understand, but well, I guess its cool to award a Woody Allen flick, which I have no problem with.

In his upcoming movie, Sascha will play his alter ego Bruno, a flamboyantly gay fashion reporter from...... Austria. Does anyone even know where Austria is?

No comments: