December 23, 2008

the life of a gardener is a great adventure


yesterday, when Sevi came to work, he showed me an excerpt from the book he was reading.......I thought the words quite wonderful. Its given me much to think about and re-introduced a sage I rarely paid any attention to.

Since its that time of year - my thoughts are as follows:

Now, for me personally, Christmas, this time of year, whatever you want to call it - or rather the trappings of Christmas have become unbearably obnoxious, cloyingly trite to the point of my eyes are going to roll back into my head, and my head is going to start spinning round and green vomit is going to spew forth.
No need to call Max Von Sydow. But the constant doodling of sickenly sweet Christmas songs in every store you walk into, plus the site of people running to and fro loaded down with packages of various shape and sizes - is getting to me. It seems all senseless and quite ridiculous. Is that all we have to show for ourselves? buying things? In the hopes of instant happiness - that´ll last about 15 minutes tops?

A retreat from consumerism, meaning, I am just going to be me. Quietly. And if a wisdom of life - from some people much wiser than me - happen to cross my path, I will actually notice it. I will actually take the time to act upon it. Sort things out in my head, and be calm. Sure, maybe it seems a bit retarded to use the end of the year, or the beginning of the year to make "resolutions" imagining you can dramatically change your life - because honestly, you can do that anytime. Plus its never dramatic in the sense of instantaneous, it comes in small considered steps.

But since most of the world stands still, or at least slows down - you know, no bills in the mail, no phone calls, most stores closed, this particular time does provide fairly decent conditions to be contemplative.

Quietly. In the equally modest hope - planting of a seed - that some of these wisdoms, will grow into something uniquely translatable for you.....or me. For whomever who shows the strength to really change patterns that kept us in a maze. Time for a breakthrough. You know, pull the stringy thing there on the lightbulb hovering up there over your head - get it to glow.

This is from the prologue of "Brida" by Paulo Coelho.

An anonymous text from the tradition says that, in life, each person can take one of two attitudes: to build or to plant. The builders might take years over their tasks, but one day, they finish what they're doing. Then they find they´re hemmed in by their own walls. life loses its meaning when the building stops.

Then there are those who plant. They endure storms and all the many vicissitudes of the seasons, and they rarely rest. But, unlike a building, a garden never stops growing. And while it requires the gardeners constant attention, it also allows life for the gardener to be a great adventure.

Gardeners always recognize one another, because they know that in the history of each plant lies the growth of the whole world.


I think I may have met a fellow gardener.

No comments: